RESEARCH FIELDArchitecture › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/09/2019 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussel/Gent
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK38
Where formulas and extensive exercises in calculation lie at the heart of traditional engineering education of structural mechanics, this research will investigate different approaches in education to develop the higher levels of thinking in structural design for (interior) architecture students. A variety of possible tools and strategies will be designed and evaluated to develop bodily and cognitive experiences in structural behavior in accordance to the personal learning characteristics of the design learner. It is expected that the research finding will not only be applicable in architecture programmes, but also in various design programmes of universities and schools of higher education (e.g. product design, spatial design and industrial design), in secondary education (e.g. STEM) and for lifelong learning of professional designers.
The envisioned PhD project is situated within the vision of the research group BRIDGES and will be further developed in participation with the chosen candidate.
We are offering
- a full-time appointment (100%) for 1 year (three times extendable) in a doctoral fellowship in a creative work environment within a young and dynamic research team.
- supervision of a promotor of the Faculty of Architecture, KU Leuven, during your PhD-research as a scholar in the young research group BRIDGES.
- a PhD degree in Architecture (if the PhD is successfully completed).
- involvement in teaching at the Faculty of Architecture as part of the educational community Architecture & Building Technology.
The Department of Architecture is responsible for the research on Architecture, Interior Architecture, Urbanism and Spatial Planning at the Faculty of Engineering Sciences (campus Leuven) and the Faculty of Architecture (campuses Brussels and Ghent). The department is an international expertise center in these domains and houses more than 150 (international) PhD-students (www.architecture.kuleuven.be).
The Faculty of Architecture groups the academic programmes in Architecture (Interior Architecture, Architecture, Urbanism and Spatial Planning) of the campuses Sint-Lucas Brussels/Ghent. The faculty is responsible for the teaching activities (www.arch.kuleuven.be).
We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative and communicative researcher with a degree (min. distinction) in Architecture, Engineering Sciences or equivalent.
The candidate should have a strong interest in performing scientific research.
The candidate is expected to:
- have a clear interest in and knowledge of the subject, based on education, work or research experience;
- have the capability to work both independently and in a multidisciplinary research team;
- have good proficiency in English and excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and preferably also in Dutch;
- assist the head of the research unit Architecture & Building Technology at the Sint-Lucas Ghent campus;
- provide support in education of the Architecture and Interior Architecture programmes;
- write scientific papers and present research findings at international conferences and in international journals.
For more information on the position or PhD project you can contact Prof. dr. ir. Laurens Luyten, head of the Research Unit Architecture & Building Technology (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Prof. dr. ir. Yves Schoonjans, Vice Chair Department of Architecture (email@example.com).
In the first phase the candidate provides a CV (incl.Master degree grade), a motivation letter and, if available, an example of a self-written academic paper. (Deadline: 10 September 2019).
After selection for the second phase, the candidate provides a proposal for the envisioned PhD project. This proposal briefly describes the research topic, approach/method and expected outcomes. (Deadline:20 September 2019).
Based on the received proposals a selection will be made for a follow-up interview with the candidate.
You can apply for this job no later than 10/09/2019 via the online application tool
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 421456
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.