There is currently no common EU driving licence, however, a ‘community model’ driving licence allows driving licences from other EU countries to be recognised and accepted by the host country. As a Luxembourg resident, with a valid EU driving licence, you can keep your existing licence, if you took your residence after the 2nd July 1995. It is recommended to register your driving licence in Luxembourg. Either hand in or send to the Driving Licence Office:
- a completed application form (downloadable from http://www.snca.lu);
- a copy of your identity document;
- a certificate of residence, less than 1 month old, with the date you first registered with your commune in Luxembourg;
- a certified copy of both the front and back of your driving licence.
In case of theft or loss, you should immediately contact the Driving Licence Office at the address below, to receive a new Luxembourg licence.
It is important to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) from your local motoring association before you start driving in Luxembourg, particularly if you wish to hire a car as soon as you arrive. Make sure you always carry it along with your normal driving licence.
You are entitled to drive with your original driving licence for 12 months after having taken residency in Luxembourg. Within a period of 12 months, but not earlier than 185 days after arrival, you must apply for a Luxembourg licence at the Driving Licence Office with the following documents:
- a health certificate from your doctor in Luxembourg (no more than 3 months old);
- an affidavit from your Embassy, (less than 3 months old);
- a certified copy of the front and back of your current driving licence, (unless it is written in German, French or English, you must include a certified translation by a sworn translator);
- a certificate of residency, less than 1 month old, with the date you first registered with your commune in Luxembourg;
- a passport picture (45x35mm);
- your police record of good conduct from Luxembourg, less than 3 months old;
- a driving licence request form (downloadable from www.snca.lu);
- a tax stamp, available from the Driving Licence Office;
- a copy of your identity document.