Pauline BOURGEON's testimonial
Pauline BOURGEON, postdoc
"Over the last three years, I have been using Euraxess portal to look for a job in Luxembourg or in the Great Region (Belgium, France, Germany). I was regularly checking the vacancies in my research field posted on the portal and I found very practical to be able to select several countries. It is very convenient to have such a portal where many career opportunities in Europe are gathered."
1. What was your main reason for coming to Luxembourg?
I decided to come to Luxembourg because my husband got a job there. We decided to try to settle here because we were looking for a financial capital where we could work and at the same time, we wanted to live in the countryside. Luxembourg offers this possibility.
2. Since when are you living in Luxembourg?
I am working in Luxembourg since October 2014 but I still live in France. I am a crossborder worker.
3. What kind of research are you doing in Luxembourg? Tell me please a bit about your work.
I am doing research in economics at the Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER). I am working on issues related to the labour market and migrations. I am working in close relationship with the Luxembourgish institutions to provide them accurate studies on policy issues.
4. What obstacles you had to face before your arrival in Luxembourg?
As a French citizen I did not experience any obstacle to come to Luxembourg thanks to the Schengen agreement.
5. What were the biggest challenges you had to deal with after your arrival?
As an economist, the biggest challenge was to understand the specific socioeconomic challenges that Luxembourg faces.
6. What role did Euraxess play in this whole process (in the process of your settlement in Luxembourg? Describe your experience with Euraxess Luxembourg).
Over the last three years, I have been using Euraxess portal to look for a job in Luxembourg or in the Great Region (Belgium, France, Germany). I was regularly checking the vacancies in my research field posted on the portal and I found very practical to be able to select several countries. It is very convenient to have such a portal where many career opportunities in Europe are gathered.
7. What is the best thing about living/working in Luxembourg and why?
In my case, the best thing is the proximity to decision makers, it makes my work very rewarding. Luxembourg is a very small country but with a very strong economic impact, which means that policymakers have key decisions to take for the country and beyond. However, more generally, I like working in Luxembourg since it provided me career opportunities that I would not have had in my home country.
8. What was surprising for you when you moved to Luxembourg?
I did not expect to find such a multicultural environment.
9. What is the main difference between Luxembourg and your country of origin?
For me it is the success culture, I have the feeling that Luxembourg promotes career success more than in France.
10. What do you miss from your home country?
Nothing special as I still live in my home country but I miss brightness in winter as I grew up in Normandy where the weather is sunnier.
11. What has Luxembourg given you professionally and personally?
Luxembourg provided me my dreamt job and offers me a multicultural environment to blossom.
12. What about your future plans in Luxembourg or abroad?
Currently, I plan to stay in Luxembourg for my whole career if it is possible.
Are you a researcher, a PhD or a postdoc who has established in Luxembourg? Do you have an experience with EURAXESS Luxembourg and its services? Share your own story through the following short survey.