Skip to main content
Living in EuropeBankingLuxembourg


EURAXESS - Researchers in motion


You will need to open a bank account to make all your payments, e.g. for the initial costs of renting accommodation (estate agent fees, deposits, advanced rent) and later your regular expenses (monthly rent, electricity, gas, water, telephone, TV, etc.) which are normally paid by standing order.


Before you arrive

Contact one of the major banks to take the necessary steps to open a personal account (current account). Some banks offer special “starter packages” for foreign workers, which can include free bank guarantees for your rental deposit or special rates for credit cards. In some cases, if you open an account at the same bank as your employer, you may also have advantages.




On arrival

If you have not already made an appointment, you can go to a bank and ask to open an account. You will be given various forms to complete, which will take some time and may delay your move into rented accommodation.

In both cases, you will need your ID card or valid passport and preferably also your employment contract.