Skip to main content
Living in EuropeDay care, schooling & family related issuesLuxembourg

Find a job for your partner


To Luxembourg with your partner

It is very likely that if you come to Luxembourg with a partner, he/she would also like to work. As more than half of the country’s work force is made up of immigrants and cross-border workers, it is quite easy to integrate.

Mirroring society, Luxembourg offers a very open, multicultural work environment where French, German, Luxembourgish and English are frequent working languages.


If your partner is a non-EU citizen, he/she must first obtain a work permit in order to work legally.

How to apply for a work permit ?

You must submit an application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration in Luxembourg, providing the following documents and information:

  • your full name and contact details;
  • a certified true copy of your entire passport;
  • your curriculum vitae;
  • a certified true copy of your diplomas or professional qualifications;
  • an employment contract, dated and signed by your employer and yourself;
  • an explanatory letter;
  • a certified true copy of your residence permit issued by another EU Member State (only if you are applying for a work permit while holding a residence permit in another EU Member State);
  • a certificate issued by the Adem which offers the employer the opportunity to recruit a person of his choice for a declared vacancy (not needed for highly qualified workers in possession of EU Blue Card).



Send a complete application or it will not be considered. Decision: 3 months after submitting your application. If the response is negative or no response is received within 3 months, you can make an appeal before the Administrative Court.


Registering with the National Employment Agency (Adem)

If on your ‘authorisation to stay’ is not mentioned “temporary” (for a limited period of time) or after 5 years, when you can obtain the status of long-term resident, you can register with Adem, which supports you in your research for a job. Of course, you can directly look for a job by yourself.






For more information



Ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes

(Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

Direction de l’Immigration

B.P. 752 L -2017 Luxembourg

Tel.: (+352) 247-84040

14.00 - 16.00

Fax: (+352) 22 16 08