Jessica DESPORT's testimonial
Jessica DESPORT, postdoc
Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) & GOODYEAR, French
1. What was your main reason for coming to Luxembourg?
I am working in the field of science and the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) was offering very interesting positions, supported by well-equipped laboratories.
2. Since when are you living in Luxembourg?
3. What kind of research are you doing in Luxembourg? Tell me please a bit about your work.
My postdoc contract is included in an industrial partnership involving Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) and Goodyear. I am working on a project that involves the development of a new set of preparation, analytical and characterization methodologies for the elucidation of structures at the molecular scale.
4. What obstacles you had to face before your arrival in Luxembourg?
Flight and train connections are not optimal from my native region but still this was not a big obstacle.
5. What were the biggest challenges you had to deal with after your arrival?
Biggest challenges were probably related to accommodation. Luxembourg is a quite expensive country in terms of house renting and finding good opportunities for accommodation is rather challenging.
6. What role did Euraxess play in this whole process (in the process of your settlement in Luxembourg? Describe your experience with Euraxess Luxembourg.
Through its website, Euraxess is sharing useful links and information regarding the host country, namely housing, health insurance, etc. It truly helps to get a general sight of our destination.
7. What is the best thing about living/working in Luxembourg and why?
Diversity is certainly the most interesting aspect of life here. Luxembourg is rich of different cultures, resulting in open-minded and sociable people who can interact with each other very easily.
8. What was surprising for you when you moved to Luxembourg?
Communication between colleagues and hierarchy is much less formal than what I am used to.
9. What is the main difference between Luxembourg and your country of origin?
The tax system is very different from where I come from. However, generally speaking I would say that it’s better.
10. What do you miss from your home country?
11. What has Luxembourg given you professionally and personally?
The chance to discover a unique area with interesting career opportunities and good research and development possibilities in my field.
12. What about your future plans in Luxembourg or abroad?
So far, I am not sure what I will be doing next. I may stay in Luxembourg if I like it, or move abroad depending on the opportunities I find.
Are you a researcher, a PhD or a postdoc who has established in Luxembourg? Do you have an experience with EURAXESS Luxembourg and its services? Share your own story through the following short survey.