Naveen ARUCHAMY`s testimonial
Naveen ARUCHAMY, PhD
Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology, Indian, single
3. What type of research are you involved in? Can you tell us a bit about your work.
I am working on lead-free ferroelectric materials to understand the reliability of these materials in real-time operating conditions. Lifetime estimation, material fatigue behaviour and breakdown are some of the key outcomes of this research.
4. What obstacles did you have to face before arriving in Luxembourg?
I spent almost a year searching for research positions after my Master’s degree. I was living in France, doing some odd jobs to make ends meet. It was challenging and also exciting when I look back now. Not a day passed by without hoping for a positive answer by email from any prospective employer. But now I feel like it was all worth the effort to be here.
5. What were the biggest challenges you had to deal with after your arrival?
For me the transition was easier. I was living in France before and the HR personnel at LIST were very helpful and cooperative in providing all the paperwork I needed for the work permit. I was equally lucky to find a room in a house with a cool host (we all call him “Daddy Norbs”).
6. What Euraxess services did you use? Services related to:
Day care, schooling & family related issues
7. What role did Euraxess play in the overall process?
The Euraxess portal helped me in finding research groups and opportunities when I was running blind during my job search!
8. What is the best thing about living / working in Luxembourg and why?
The intercultural experience, the expat community in Luxembourg. I can easily meet someone from different parts of the world in a small country like Luxembourg. It is also well located geographically, so that backpackers like me can move around and plan a trip at ease.
9. What did you find surprising when you moved to Luxembourg?
The expat community.
10. What is the main difference between Luxembourg and your country of origin (personally and professionally)?
Cultural differences, the population and size of the city/country.
11. What do you miss about your home country?
Food and chaos (there is always order in chaos ;-) )
12. What has Luxembourg given you professionally and personally?
- Personally - a good quality of life.
- Professionally - a challenging and friendly work environment.
13. What are your future plans, either in Luxembourg or abroad?
I would like to continue my research activity and gradually progress to setting up a start-up firm on my own.
14. Would you recommend Euraxess and why?
Yes absolutely, Euraxess is one of the best platforms to find opportunities for research and funding all across Europe.
Are you a researcher, a PhD or a postdoc who has established in Luxembourg? Do you have an experience with EURAXESS Luxembourg and its services? Share your own story through the following short survey.