Skip to main content
Living in EuropeHealth insurance, Medical careLuxembourg

Healthcare insurance




The healthcare system runs through the National Health Fund (Caisse nationale de santé/CNS) and offers comprehensive healthcare for all Luxembourg employees and their dependants. It is consultant-led, meaning you have the right to choose your doctor and, in most instances, you can go directly to the specialist practitioner you need.

Remember to take your ID and social security card for any medical consultation.

As an employee, you will be automatically enrolled by your employer with the National Health Fund (CNS). To cover your family members, i.e. spouse, children and other family dependents living in your household, you will need to contact the CNS.



Social security card

Once registered with the CNS, you will receive a social security card with your name and social security number on the national front side. It contains the European sickness insurance information which enables you to receive healthcare in the countries of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, when travelling. It is always useful to carry it with you, as you may need to show it when you visit a doctor or buy prescription drugs.



When you visit a health specialist, you will receive an invoice. There are two ways to pay for a medical consultation

  • Pay at the end of the consultation (in cash or with a credit card).
  • Have the bill sent to your home and pay by bank transfer.


Send the original bill (keep a copy for your records), with proof of payment, to the National Health Fund (Caisse nationale de santé/CNS), who will reimburse part of the amount covered directly into your bank account. The amount received depends on treatment received.

With your first claim you should include details of your bank account (IBAN and BIC code numbers), social security number and contact details.

For medical prescriptions, you only pay the pharmacy part of the bill, if you show your social security card.


Legal obligations

If you are ill or have had an accident and cannot go to work, you need to inform your employer and the CNS immediately on the first day of your illness.

find more information about legal obligations